- To begin I will need from you:
- Finished dimensions in inches of your book.
- Will you have a hardcover or soft cover, or both?
- Do you want copy on the back cover of the book, and if so, I will need that supplied.
- Do you want an author’s/artist’s bio page, or would you prefer to leave that out?
- If you want it, I will need you to supply the copy for the author’s bio.
- If your printer/publisher has layout requirements or restrictions, I will need that information.
- I”ll rough out the book, divided into pages and showing what goes on each spread. This rough stage is very rough — you’ll think I can’t draw! — but you will be able to see what I intend.
- If you accept my proposal, I will need 1/2 deposit before beginning
- Now the work begins. This goes through several stages, each getting progressively more finished. I may need to do research, to get settings, figures, objects accurate. At each stage, you will have opportunity to adjust things before I do final rendering. Depending on the book, this will be just 1-2 steps or several.
- When everything is drawn correctly, sized and placed, final color rendering begins. This will take several weeks, so be patient!
ALL IMAGES ARE COPYRIGHTED. DO NOT USE WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT FROM LEVIDIA DABA.
Repeat this process for 12+ spreads
and the cover . . . and you have a book!
- I will bill you for the balance of payment. I will set up the print files for your printer/publisher, and will send them when I receive payment.
A Final Note:
You will own all of the rights to the art. I hang on to the art while the book is in production, just in case the printer needs me to correct something. When I know I won’t need it anymore, I will ship all of the original art and electronic files to you.
These materials will be invaluable to you for your own marketing and printing materials when promoting your book.
I do ask for permission to use images from your book for my own portfolio, website and promotional materials, always crediting your name and book title.